Friday, May 22, 2009

"I have never had a day of clarity in my life."

One of my favorite stories of all time is the account of a conversation between Mother Teresa and John Kavanaugh, the noted philosopher. Mr. Kavanaugh had gone to Calcutta for about three months in the 70s to spend time with Mother Teresa and "regroup" or "refuel" as he considered the next move in his career. At one point during this experience, Mother Teresa asked what she could pray about for him. Feeling blessed to have such a woman offer to pray on his behalf, Mr. Kavanaugh responded without hesitation, "Pray that I would have clarity as I seek out what I should be doing next with my life." Mother Teresa smiled gently and responded, "No. I won't do that." Surprised, Mr. Kavanaugh responded, "Why not? You have certainly always had clarity!" The little woman laughed and shook her head. "John," Mother Teresa replied, "I have never had a day of clarity in my life. What I have always had is trust. And that is what I shall pray that you will have as well."

I love this thoughtful exchange because it is powerfully true, and it is something I can completely relate to. I have likewise never had a day of clarity in my life. But I can say this: I have seen Jesus, and I know God. I don't understand Him, but I KNOW Him. And that is enough. Fully enough to provide all the strength I need for one more day of following after the most radical and scandalous Savior the world has ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment